Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Don’t look now ‑ here comes Santa Claus

Like a lot of folks, I’m sure, this festive season happens to be my favorite time of year.
As soon as I see the lights and decorations go up on homes, businesses and streets in the various communities I visit, I feel like I’m holding onto the robe of the Spirit of Christmas Past.
Although Chelsea is a little bit behind other places in displaying its electric holiday glitter this year, City Manager John Hanifan assured me after Tuesday’s City Council meeting that the situation would be remedied immediately.
“We were going to do it a while ago, but the weather wouldn’t let us,” he said.
I understand perfectly, John; I still had leaves to rake up and put in my garden, but they are now frozen solid under a cold, white blanket.
Bad weather or good, it sounds like Chelsea will be a great place to be this weekend for residents and visitors alike.
The Chamber of Commerce’s annual Chelsea Hometown Holidays takes place Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and is jammed with activities to fill you with the Christmas spirit.
The main events are Friday’s tree-lighting ceremony in Pierce Park at 6 p.m., followed by the arrival of the head honcho himself; and the Holiday Light Parade at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Things get toned down and tuned up Sunday, with skating with Santa, a holiday ice show, concerts and carols.
In between, there’s a ton of activities happening each day, literally all over town.
If all these things put you in the mood to finish up your Christmas shopping, great.
But if nothing else, they should cause you to slow down, unplug from your hectic everyday schedule and enjoy the sights and sounds of my favorite season.

1 comment:

John H. said...

Ed,

The lights are on! You owe me a hot cocoa...